Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Imagination

I love how creative Blake is.  He always has something going on in his mind.  He tells stories that are so detailed.  Maybe he should be a writer. 

Anyway, he wanted to be a Ninja so he made this costume out of tape and cardboard.  He gets so excited about things and sometimes when those things don't end up the way he envisions them, there is some heart break.  This costume was a good example of that. 

He made this all by himself by pulling apart a couple of boxes, and creating all these little pieces.  Look how happy he is here:

Well, I guess you can't see his face.  But let me just say, he was happy!  Then he started running around.  After just a few steps, the tape started to give way.  Piece after piece fell off.  He started getting frustrated.  Angry tears came.  I felt so bad for him that the image he had in his head didn't match the reality of things.  How do you teach a kid to handle disappointment? 

I explained to him that tape just doesn't last, and that if he wanted a real costume, we could make one out of fabric.  We could also just get a Halloween costume.  He wasn't as sad, but he still moped around for a good part of the day. 

Anyway, I need to keep encouraging this awesome creative side that he has, but teach him to temper disappointment.  I never want him to feel like he has to give up.  We will just keep working at it, and we'll get there.  :)

No comments: